Peoples Republic of Julia

Thursday, January 17, 2008

So how's 2008 treating you guys so far?


::::Not too much of note has been going on lately. I went to see Juno last week and really enjoyed it. Great script, great cast, great music! I highly recommend it.

::::I've decided that since I don't like making new years resolutions, I am just going to set some goals for myself of things I'd like to try/do this year.

-Get my palm read
-Make homemade sushi
-Sew a dress............and actually wear it! :)
-Get a new tattoo of my own design
-Take a painting class

Speaking of doing new things, check out this blog where the author does something she's never done before every day of the year. Neat!

::::I'm making one of my coworkers an indie/alternative music mix tape. He only listens to stuff on the radio, and when he told me what kind of music he likes, I wanted to cry. I am super excited at the prospect of making the mother of all mix tapes, but there's so much to choose from I don't even know where to start. Maybe I will make a series of them. Any suggestions for possible track options?

::::Speaking of music, I just bought a few new songs from itunes, and I couldn't be more pleased. I bought two tracks off the amelie soundtrack (unfortunately that was all that was available), and find them absolutely delightful. I love playing them will driving around the county roads and pretending I am in the french countryside. I also bought:

"Say Yes" Elliot Smith
"Your Ex-Lover is Dead" Stars
"You Remind Me of Home" Andrew Kenny & Ben Gibbard

The thing I love about itunes is that it suggests other things you may like based on your selections, and that's how I found these wicked sweet gems. Check em out!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yarr, mixtapeage.

Classic alt rock songs that everyone loves:
Weezer - El Scorcho
The Pixies - Where Is My Mind?
Beck - Loser
The Breeders - Cannonball
The Beastie Boys - Intergalactic
Greenday - Welcome to Paradise
Massive Attack - Teardrop
Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Bright Eyes - Lover I Don't Have to Love
Rancid - Time Bomb

Older stuff:
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
Iggy & The Stooges - Search and Destroy
The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
The Velvet Underground - Sunday Morning
Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues

Aussie:
You Am I - Trike / Berlin Chair
Augie March - Asleep in Perfection
Wolfmother - Joker & the thief
End of Fashion - Rough Diamonds
Nick Cave - Red Right Hand


Man, I am full of suggestions today! Also, I am OK with people not liking Joanna Newsom, but I am not OK with people who have *never heard* Joanna Newsom. See to that.

1/18/2008 7:27 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Oh hell, remind me never to discuss music with Mark.

Your plans sound awesome. There's just something about this year that seems to have everybody wanting to do more than ever. It's so great to see.

Er, I sound like an arse. Hell.

1/18/2008 8:25 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

You mean you don't steal your music like the rest of us?? :P

1/19/2008 10:33 PM  
Blogger colonel eggroll said...

Mark-Nice! Thanks for all the great suggestions, looks like I will be making more than one mixtape after all. Hooray!

Nails-Lol. Yeah hopefully I get at least a few of those things to happen. I am a chronic procrastinator.

Steph-I steal it from my friends computers, does that count? :)

1/20/2008 11:42 PM  
Blogger lucy said...

Okay, Mark needs to make me that mix tape like stat. All of my favourite songs. Do it Mark!

On a side note what's your e-mail address Colonel? I need to add it for access to my page ...

1/22/2008 4:34 PM  
Blogger lucy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1/22/2008 4:34 PM  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

go for the tattoo.

i got a sea turtle tattoo a few years ago. the tattoo guy said it was first time he ever did a sea turtle.

i love my sea turtle.

1/22/2008 8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucy: the joy of the internet mix tape is that you can make it yourself! Ugh, sorry, I'm just having a bad day here.

In case Lucy doesn't read this, where is her new site? Can someone tell me?

1/22/2008 9:37 PM  
Blogger colonel eggroll said...

Lucy-I've emailed my email address to you. Thanks! :)

Billy-I definitely want to get a tattoo this year. It's been on my to do list for awhile now, I just can't decide what I want.

Your tattoo sounds very cool!

Mark-I left a comment on her site to add you so as long as she has your email address, it should be cool.

So here's some stuff I'm also thinking about putting on the mix tapes in addition to your suggestions. What do you think?

Bright Eyes and Spoon-Let the Distance Keep us Together
The Flaming Lips-Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots pt 1
Ben Folds-Rockin the Suburbs
The Strokes-Someday
The Raconteurs-Level
Stone Temple Pilots-Vasoline

And of course Ween's Where'd the Cheese Go?

1/23/2008 10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh, I haven't heard any those except for Ben Folds, who I kinda loathe with a passion. Still, they sound like the right sorta thing.

1/31/2008 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com