Peoples Republic of Julia

Thursday, January 31, 2008



Ack!! I've spent the last week and a half working on my resume, looking for/applying for jobs, stressing about work, and trying to get used to my new schedule.

Searching for jobs online has got to be one of the top most annoying things EVER. Within 30 minutes, I want to cry/pull all my hair out. It's so depressing. If I ever want to a dose of deflated self worth, that's the quickest. I spend hours scouring the listings, then when I finally do find something that might work, I am nowhere near qualified. I'm just going to start applying for everything. What's the worst that can happen? It's not like I'm not used to getting the "sorry, we've hired someone else" emails by this point. I gotta love my friend Pantera Dave's career advice: "Just lie your ass off." He makes more than I do, and does way less. So apparently it works.

I have applied for a part time job as a relationship manager at a recruitment outsourcing place in findlay. It's mostly data entry and phone interview type stuff which I've never done before, but I think I'll be able to handle it. Plus, it pays really well and I would get to make my own schedule. I figure if I manage to land it, I'll be able to pay off the last of my credit card debt and maybe start chipping away at my sizeable student loans. Freedom from financial slavery! Huzzah!

Work has been stressing me out alot the last few days. I will not say much except that I am very tired of all the backstabbing and dishonesty that goes on with particular members of upper management. In addition, they have switched our hours so I now report to work at 7am as opposed to 8am. Words cannot describe how much this upsets me. It has been in effect for a few weeks now, but I am still not completely used to it. I hate the fact that I start to get tired at 9 sometimes 8pm. I'm like an old person now. Boo.

Wow. This post is both terribly boring and bitchy. Much apologies. I need sleep.

7 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Sweets, you will find that in management no matter where you work. You just have to learn to play your cards close to your chest and roll with it.

Sad but true.

2/01/2008 6:22 AM  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

it's fine line between being over qualified and under qualified.

when i hire, i'm a sucker for neat hand writing. a neat hand written covering letter guarantees an interview.

2/01/2008 10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I hear they're hiring at Wendy's ;)

Meanwhile, what does a 'relationship manager' do? Does it involve a lot of hugging? Maybe some tissues?

2/02/2008 7:40 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

I can relate to the early hours thing. I had to work 6:30am to 4:30pm the last five days and it sucked. I hate being tired by eight o'clock at night.

Also I think my own fear of rejection keeps me from applying anywhere else. I don't need more people telling me that my degree means nothing and my job experience isn't useful.

2/02/2008 7:59 PM  
Blogger colonel eggroll said...

Steph-Yeah I know, but it still sucks to deal with. *sigh*

Billy-Wish you were doing the hiring for these jobs, because I have great penmanship! :)

People actually handwrite cover letters still?

Mark-Hahaha smart guy!

I would be doing phone interviews of potential candidates for companies such as coca cola and walgreens. Then based on how they do, I would either pass or fail them for the next round of interviews. Although what your suggesting sounds much more interesting. :)

Steve-Yeah, It sucks big time. I have never been a morning person, never will be.

It's just so much work to sift through all the crap. It seems like the only way to get a decent job anymore is through who you know. Weak.

2/02/2008 10:12 PM  
Blogger phishez said...

Babes - you just need a new job.

Your work sounds creepily like mine.

2/03/2008 4:45 AM  
Blogger colonel eggroll said...

Yeah, I think I may be ready to move on.

2/04/2008 4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com