Peoples Republic of Julia

Monday, July 23, 2007

Karoake....Drunk man's best friend? I think not.

Eh. I've been feeling pretty exhausted as of late. Work is getting pretty hectic since everything is getting switched around and communication is apparently, optional. What? Let staff in on what is going on? Why would we do something silly like that?

I find it very annoying when the higher ups of a business choose to use the trickle down effect as a method of informing staff of changes as opposed to having an official meeting/bulletin/email/just anything at all really announcing what the hell is going on. Everything is up in the air, and maybe I'm just being a control freak, but I'd like to know what to expect in the next couple of weeks when I go to work.

Sigh.

In other news I am going to go see Interpol on Wednesday, and I am STOKED! It is going to be awesome, I can hardly wait!

Saturday evening found me attending my very first karoake night at grumpy dave's. I think I may have to go more often, because it is extremely amusing. My throat was actually sore the next day from heckling/cheering on all the terrible karoake(ers?). I've always secretly wanted to do it, but after that display I don't think it will be happening anytime soon! One guy was so drunk, he practically fell asleep on his stool while singing a song by the doobie brothers. Another person chose to do "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" which should never be in any karoake catalog in my opinion, because it's way too fast and is really just chanted anyway.

Has anyone else ever noticed that karoake songs seem to last forever? They sang verses I didn't even know existed!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, not karaoke. I tend to forget that a few beers and a couple of hours of talking over the music will shift my voice up a fifth and leave me unable to find the key. Plus, my stage moves go to hell if there's just me up there. Nowadays, I avoid it like the plague. But you do have to try it at least a couple of times.

7/23/2007 10:55 PM  
Blogger Winter said...

I've never tried it either. If I've had enough to drink that I think dancing is a good idea I have no idea what it would take to get me to sing in public.

While being in a band is most certainly cool and has its appeal I don't know any who are looking for flute player/mediocre singer.

"Listen to that kickin' glissando, meatwad" :)

7/24/2007 8:09 PM  
Blogger lucy said...

Karaoke and I are no longer friends, actually we've never been friends.

He loves me, and I'm tone deaf and refuse to do it.

Getting drunk and dancing to 80's music on the other hand......

7/25/2007 7:40 AM  
Blogger colonel eggroll said...

Mark-I was surprised that everyone that participated chose to sing alone. Personally, I'd want to have someone with me. If I'm going to go down in flames, I want company!

Winter-Much beer would have to be consumed before I'd ever even have the nerve to do it. It would be different if someone had their own karoake machine at their house, then I'd probably consider it. Alas, the world will just have to be deprived of my sweet singing skillz.

Lucy-Yes, beer and 80's music go together rather well don't they? :)

7/26/2007 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com