Peoples Republic of Julia

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Don't make me take these glasses off.

We watched Superman Returns last night. It was so awesome! I totally dig superman. Maybe it's because I have fond memories of watching the old superman movies with my dad as a kid, but I've always liked him best. I had the hugest childhood crush on him. He always dropped everything to save Lois Lane, and I thought that was romantic. Now in retrospect, I guess that would be pretty sweet for her, but if you happened to be in trouble at the same time as she was, I guess you'd be screwed. Too bad burning bus of school kids! My girlfriend is in trouble!

My only beef with the superman mythos is the whole glasses are my disguise thing. So when he puts his glasses on, he looks like a totally different person? I realize he also goes from suave to complete teabag in zero to ten seconds, but still. Why don't people notice? I guess the truth of the matter is that people just aren't that observant. I wear glasses just about everyday, and sometimes when I get the hankering, I'll put in my contacts. When I do, people act like I look completely different. If I am wearing them and want to avoid someone at the store for example, I just walk right past and they usually don't notice. It's nice. Other times it's just damn annoying. Once I went to work with my contacts in and someone actually came up to me and said "Can you see me?" And waved their hands in my face. Idiot.

So in homage to the new superman movie, here is a short list of some of my favorite old school superman moments (not necessarily in order):

:::The time Lois Lane died and he flew around the Earth, changing it's rotation and turning back time so he could save her. (complete cheese, but still a classic)

:::Superman using his super breath to blow an oil spill back into a damaged oil tanker.

:::Superman giving up his powers to be with Lois Lane then getting owned at a diner by some biker/thug.

:::Zod and Superman scuffle in the white house.

Awesomeness.

9 Comments:

Blogger Winter said...

'Too bad burning bus of school kids! My girlfriend is in trouble!' Hilarious!

I have seen people react to you without glasses and it is quite amusing. Watching them walk around all day going "you look sooo different. You look so different. You look so different!" Aw, aren't the idiots funny!

12/07/2006 9:30 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I think I've been that idiot before saying "you don't normally wear contacts, right?". But then again my stupidity is well established.

12/08/2006 3:02 AM  
Blogger colonel eggroll said...

Winter-Glad it made you laugh too.

I just remember a particular person saying "I don't like it! It's weird!" and then proceed to avoid me the whole shift and make faces whenever he saw me, like I looked horrifying.

Steve-I don't mind people saying "oh you look different", it's just when people act like morons that it annoys me.

12/08/2006 12:34 PM  
Blogger Winter said...

Who said that and avoided you??

12/08/2006 5:10 PM  
Blogger colonel eggroll said...

Winter-Nick. That douchebag.

12/08/2006 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Point of interest: that's the first time I've heard the word 'teabag' used in exactly that way. It sounds totally l337, so I'm going to bring it in down under ;)

12/08/2006 11:00 PM  
Blogger Winter said...

Ah, now I think I do remember that srory. And he is a lord of douchebaggery.

12/09/2006 1:32 PM  
Blogger colonel eggroll said...

Mark-sweet! Glad you like it. Btw, I had to look up l337 on "the google" to know what you were talking about. But I'm totally in the know now.

12/10/2006 2:10 PM  
Blogger Winter said...

'the google' *enter hilarious giggling because the president is dumb.*

I know what 1337 is...
because I'm a dork too.

12/10/2006 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com