Peoples Republic of Julia

Monday, November 13, 2006

Awkward Dinner Conversation

Over the weekend some friends and I went to see the Borat movie. Fantastic! I haven't laughed that hard at a movie for a while. If you love crude humor and laughter at other people's expense, then I highly suggest you watch it.

It made me think of an interesting Thanksgiving dinner conversation I once had with my mother:

Me: So this friend of mine likes to sit on her porch and watch the people walk by....
Mom: Oh you mean like monkey?.....Umm...what do you say? Like Porch Monkey?

Awkward Silence.

Me: Did you really just say Porch Monkey?? Where ever did you hear that?
Mom: I don't remember.
Me: Do you even know what it means?
Mom: Yeah, people who like to sit on their porch.
Me: (Shakes head) Mom, it's a racial slur for African Americans.
Mom: Oh. (Resumes eating turkey)

That was a classic. I can never tell when a gem like that will pass over my mother's lips. You see, my mom was born and raised in Korea. She didn't come to the United States until she was in her mid twenties, so due to cultural differences, she often says things that are inappropriate and doesn't even realize it. Luckily she's a cute little asian woman, so people find her endearing. She's my mom, so I find her terribly embarrassing.

In other news, I got my hair cut, and I absolutely love it!





Hooray!

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

The haircut is great.

11/14/2006 12:40 AM  
Blogger Winter said...

Oh, I can tell the difference a lot better in the picture than I could in person. Is that weird? Was that picture taken right after the cut?

11/15/2006 3:01 PM  
Blogger colonel eggroll said...

Steve-Thanks! =)

Winter-Yeah, it really isn't too different actually, I just wanted to post about it because I liked it so much, and Dawn does such an awesome job.

11/15/2006 5:56 PM  
Blogger Winter said...

Truth. Dawn rules and I never want to have to find anybody else to cut my hair again. I feel like I must be her pity project since everytime I go in I give her and idea and let her run with it, and the fact that I'm hopeless at styling my hair. She's always like, just do this, this and this. And I think "OK", but as soon as I walk out the door I realize I've completely failed to retain any of it.

11/16/2006 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com