Peoples Republic of Julia

Monday, November 06, 2006

stressed

So my boss recently got a promotion and her position is now available. Over the last couple of weeks, I have found myself the target of multiple inquiries as to whether I will be applying for her position. It would be a promotion, with more responsibility and a little bit more pay. I also would gain managerial experience, something, which I do not currently have, and it would look good on my resume.

Despite all of these things I find myself hesitating. Why? Because if given the choice, I would rather be the worker bee as opposed to the big cheese. I don't particularly like telling people what to do, and I especially hate confrontations. I know that I’m just being a big chicken about the whole thing, but I can’t help it. It’s not that I don’t think I can do the job; it’s more like I’m comfortable where I am. I work full time, I have benefits, and things are good.

So I’ve been stressing over this for the last few days. Tomorrow is the last day to apply. I have my resume and cover letter printed and signed. It sits waiting, mocking me. Blerg.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

I say apply. This could be something your good at. Sometimes good "worker bees" know how to be the best "big cheeses".

11/06/2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger Winter said...

*Sigh* Bees make honey steve, not cheese. I know math is your thing, but c'mon. (just kidding!)

Sorry that I haven't given you much help in deciding. I see all your points and agree, so I'm just as undecided as you.

You could at least apply and find out the info on the job I guess.

Either way. Good Luck!

11/06/2006 9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I hope you did apply. Being in charge is way fun, and you'd probably be good at it.

11/06/2006 9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com