Peoples Republic of Julia

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Went on vacation for six days, and it was fantastic! Did a lot of sleeping, eating, and reading. We had originally planned on going to Hocking Hills and staying in a cabin for a few days, but the weather seemed suspect, so we hung out in Columbus with Eddie's mom and aunt instead and had a great time.

Some highlights:

****Going to a Japanese steakhouse where they cook your food in front of you and do cool stuff like throw and light things on fire. Kickass.

****Checking out the German Village. The houses are beautiful, and it's just an interesting area in general. We went to this bookstore called "The Book Loft" which is a pre civil war building converted bookstore and it is a 32 room maze of bargain books. Amazing.

****Going to some local thrift stores where we found everything from stethescopes to felt pictures of JFK. I managed to find a copy of "Brave New World" for only $1. Score!

****Having a tumble on my rollerblades at the park and bleeding profusely from a quarter sized scrape on my right knee.

(Just for the record, Eddie and I went up a bridge overlooking the expressway which is far too steep for rollerblades. I wasn't going to go at first but Eddie egged me on, so to show I wasn't chicken, I went. Everything was fine until I tried to come back down, sped up to an uncontrollable speed, and found myself suddenly lying on the ground. The scrape looked far worse than it felt, and since it refused to stop bleeding down my leg in a scary manner, I was forced to improvise. So I took my right sock off and tied it around the cut to apply pressure and keep it from bleeding. Eddie's poor mother about had a fit when she saw the whole thing, and seemed to thing I would die from my grievous wound. But I think I took it like a champ, and skated all the way back to the restrooms at the front of the park. That's when I found out that the restrooms are closed Monday to Friday after 3:30 pm and not even open on the weekends! What the hell? Who ever heard of a part time restroom?)

Ugg. Sorry for that run along paragraph. It hurts the eyes a bit, and I wouldn't blame you if you have decided to skip it.

That pretty much sums up the last 6 days. It was fun, and I wish I didn't have to go back to work. :(

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We went and saw the "Get Smart" movie, and it was hilarious! Apparently Mel Brooks was a consultant for the film, so maybe that's why. All I have to say is that it far exceeded my expectations and I highly recommend it!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss rollerblading, but I don't miss the injuries. Someone should invent better (ie. adequate) brakes for them.

6/28/2008 3:16 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

I'm too unco to rollerblade. Well done surviving with battle scars.

6/28/2008 7:06 AM  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

i like lots of blood from a wound.

from a sympathy point of view it's way better to have a minor wound that looks real bad than a major wound that looks painless.

7/05/2008 11:22 AM  
Blogger colonel eggroll said...

Mark-I agree. A brake on one side doesn't seem like enough.

Steph-Thanks! You are cool in other ways!

Billy-I was morbidly fascinated with how bright the blood was and thought it was kind of cool. It is better to have it look worse than it actually is. Plus, people think you're really tough! :)

7/07/2008 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com