Peoples Republic of Julia

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

There's a fuck ton of snow outside.

And I had to work this morning. It was awesome to say the least. At 6:30 a.m, my boss called to inform me that our county was at a level three snow emergency. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this system, it means that roads are closed to all non essential personnel, and anyone found driving is subject to citation or arrest.

For most, this means a snow day. No work or school, just hanging at the homestead without a care in the world. This is not the case for me. I must strap on the snowshoes, don my furry hat, and suck it up. Because according to agency policy, if we find ourselves due to work during a level three, we must call the police department for transportation. Lovely.

So we call the boys in blue. And you know what they said? It was okay for us to drive to work. We had special permission. We were told to try to get to work on our own, and if that wasn't possible, then we should call for their services because they had other far more important things to attend to.

Now maybe it's selfish of me, but I was pissed. Attending to what? No one is driving. Every place is closed, so no one is out except for the guys with the snow plows. And a few strange looking vagrants. But they're always around. Personally, I think they just didn't want to deal with any of it. And to be fair, who would? But it's your fucking job. I didn't want to go to work this morning, but I'm here. Thanks for serving and protecting me, assholes. Anyone who lives in the college ghetto portion of town knows that nothing get plowed over here. Especially apartment building parking lots. Because what are a bunch of college kids gonna do? Bitch to their parents and their friends? Or like me, write an entire tirade about it on their blog, which 4.5 people read?

So I go to start my car. A snow drift half my size has collected in fr0nt of the apartment building door, and I have to wade through that first to even get to it. Fortunately, I'm parked in a spot that hasn't amassed very much snow, so I'm good there. I survey the parking lot. It comes to my attention that not only are there huge drifts blocking both entrances of the lot, but that I am also poorly prepared. The initial plan to use kitty litter under my tires has been foiled, because of course as fate would have it, I'm all out.

Within minutes of trying to leave, I'm stuck. Armed with only the kitty litter scoop to help me. The time is 7:30. I am supposed to be at work in 30 minutes. Cursing, I try digging out the snow around my tires with the scoop. This is much like trying to shovel with a spoon. After about 5 minutes of this, and much kicking of snow, I throw in the towel and wake eddie up. He's very pleased about this. A half hour later, after much pushing and swearing, I am finally out of the lot.

The rest of my trip to work was uneventful. Thankfully the person who worked before me had the brains to shovel the sidewalks and drive, so I had no issues with getting stuck again. I'm hoping that by the time I get off work, the lot at our apartment has been plowed, or I will be very angry. Maybe even angry enough to post about it again, lucky you! I took a few pictures, but I'll have to wait until I get home to load them onto my computer.


Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2/14/2007 10:00 PM  
Blogger Winter said...

I feel kind of bad, I neither had to work today nor did I have to dig out my car. There were four spots left when I came home from work yesterday. I used some 'stategery' in picking one and this morning the ground behind and around my car was bare. However, I did have to help Steve get his car unstuck, so it's not like I didn't have to deal with it.

2/14/2007 11:26 PM  
Blogger colonel eggroll said...

The morning was the worst part. Just because no one had gotten around to plowing the parking lots yet. Once I was out of the lot, it was much better. I did do a 180 on main street when I was trying to turn onto a side street. That was fun.

2/15/2007 8:12 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

They expected you to get to work in THOSE conditions?
Holy shite!

2/17/2007 9:30 PM  
Blogger colonel eggroll said...

Yes, it totally sucks! I work at a 24/7 supervised adult group home, so I don't get the luxury of staying home when outside is crap.

2/18/2007 9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, what a hassle. But I bet snow days are pretty excellent for everyone else.

Now I will sit back and enjoy the shorts weather going on here. Mmmmm.

2/18/2007 10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com