Peoples Republic of Julia

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Feeling Reflective

The last place I lived in was a somewhat old house that our rental company had just bought. It had been awhile since anyone had lived in it, and being old, it was full of all sorts of interesting nooks and crannies. One of the doors in our walk in closet had to be taken off the hinges to get to another interior storage closet. Inside we found a few beer bottles and two notebooks that had been left there by a previous tenant. The notebooks turned out to be journals.

It’s interesting to get glimpses into the secret parts of other people’s lives that you normally wouldn’t get to see otherwise. I find things of this nature fascinating. I am intrigued by all the things that people feel, but do not share with others. When I read them, I feel guilty because they are someone’s private thoughts, yet I cannot bring myself to get rid of them because they are thoughts that someone obviously felt were important enough to record.

I keep a journal myself. I don’t write in it regularly, just when I’m feeling emotional or want to remember something in particular. I have always been horrified at the thought that anyone would ever read it, and I wonder if this person would feel the same. Why is it that we feel the need to keep so much to ourselves? And why are we so afraid to be who we really are? Looking back on my life, there are a few times when I wish I would’ve told people how I really felt, or how much they meant to me. Maybe they already knew, but maybe they didn’t. I just wish it wasn’t so hard for me to say these things to the people that I care about most.

I’m thinking about sending the journals to the Found Magazine website. I’m not sure yet. I’ve had them for awhile now, and I don’t know why I hang onto them. I guess I just hope that the person that wrote those journals found what they were looking for.

2 Comments:

Blogger Winter said...

I think we are afriad to be who we really are because we desire the acceptance of others. And even if others agree with us they may scorn us in order to be accepted by society as a whole.

Personally, I try to be my self as much as possible, but I know that I keep a lot to myself. Especially when it comes to how much people mean to me. There's always the fear that you're going to look silly, the fear that you won't be able to say what you mean. I have an awesome Stephen King quote that is terribly relevant to this, I'll have to find it for you.

P.S. Thanks for being one of the best friends evAR. :)

9/14/2006 4:31 PM  
Blogger colonel eggroll said...

Yes, I think you are totally right.

Personally, I find it difficult to say what I mean, because while I may have it all figured out in my head, it is quite another thing to actually get the words to come out of my mouth. Alot of times I'm not sure if it's going to make the other person uncomfortable which also prevents me from doing so.
There's also the fact that I get embarrassed easily, so I don't handle being emotional in front of people very well.

And by the way, Thanks, you are a great friend too! =)

9/16/2006 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com