Peoples Republic of Julia

Monday, January 25, 2010

Hey Everyone! Wow, it's gotten a bit dusty in here. How have you all been? You all look fabulous! ;P

I don't really have much to talk about at the moment, but one of my goals this year is to cook more. I have a cute new apron, and I'm going to try making a few recipes from my Joy of Cooking cookbook.

Oh and I want to have an official tea party. With cups and saucers, scones, and tea sandwiches.

It will be awesome.

I recently found a recipe for ham and bean soup that is simple to make and super tasty so I thought I'd share:

Chop and dice a medium sized onion. Saute it in 1 TBSP olive oil in a large pot. Add 1 1/2 tsp italian seasoning and cook til fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the following ingredients:

2 large carrots diced
1/2 a cabbage cored and cut into bit size shreds
12 ounces of diced ham
1 quart chicken broth
1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
2 cans of white northern beans undrained
2 TBSP parsley

Simmer for 15 minutes and serve.
(this can also be easily made in a crockpot)

Happy eating!

3 Comments:

Blogger billy pilgrim said...

great recipe.

i make a big pot of bean soup once a week. the only constants white navy beans, pearl barley, onions and garlic. everything else depends on what is in the fridge.

1/26/2010 5:59 PM  
Anonymous Mark said...

Ah, They Joy of Cooking. It's not the best 'The Joy of-' book, but it's definitely up there!

You really must make some scones. Chop 'em in half while they're still warm and put raspberry jam or butter in the middle. Can't be beaten.

1/27/2010 2:31 AM  
Blogger colonel eggroll said...

Billy-Hello! :) Yes soup is delicious, and so easy to make! I love that you can just put different things in it everytime.

Mark-That sounds delicious. I will definitely have to try it!

2/03/2010 11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com